Swadeshmukul Santra, Ph.D.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Florida 1998-2002
- Ph.D., Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India 1998
- Research Assistant Professor, University of Florida 2002-2005
Nanobioimaging and sensing, cancer imaging and therapy, stem cell tracking, drug delivery, pathogen detection, nanotoxicity evaluation, study of antimicrobial nanomaterials. Projects focused on development of various nanostructured materials for applications as image contrast agents (such as fluorescent nanoparticles, magnetic nanoparticles, multimodal/multifunctional nanoparticles for probing gene expression, stem cell differentiation and other cellular functions both in vitro and in vivo), drug delivery systems (such as anti-cancer drug loaded biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles that are imageable and targetable) and antimicrobial agents.
- FL Department of Citrus
- UCF Office of Research and Commercialization
- NSF: Selective detection of toxic heavy metal ions using highly sensitive quantum dot probes
PI: Santra, 6/2007 - 12/2008
- InnoSense LLC: InnoSense LLC and UCF research collaboration
PI: Santra, 4/2007 - 3/2008
- UCF Office of Research: In vitro imaging of cerium oxide nanoparticles
PI: Santra, 5/2006 - 4/2007
- Spring 2006: CHM 1020
- Fall 2006: CHM 1020
- Spring 2007: CHM 4130C
- Fall 2007: BSC 3424
- Spring 2008: CHM 1020
- Fall 2008: BSC 3424
- Spring 2009: CHM 2046H
- Fall 2009: BSC 3424
Concepts of Chemistry (CHM 1020); Advanced Analytical Laboratory Techniques (CHM 4130C); Nanobiotechnology (BSC 3424); Honors Chemistry Fundamentals II (CHM 2046H)
- Banerjee S, Santra S*, "Remarkable catalytic activity of silica nanoparticle in the bis-Michael addition of active methylene compounds to conjugated alkenes", Tetrahedron Letters, 2009, 50(18), 2037-2040.
- Banerjee S, Kar S*, Perez, J. M., Santra S*, "Quantum dot based OFF/ON probe for detection of glutathione", Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2009, 113 (22), 9659-9663.
- Kar S, Patel C, Santra S*, "Direct Room Temperature Synthesis of Valence State Engineered Ultra-Small Ceria Nanoparticles: Investigation on the Role of Ethylenediamine as a Capping Agent", Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2009, 113 (12), 4862-4867.
- Biswas S, Kar S, Santra S*, Jompol Y, Arif M, Khondaker SI, "Solvothermal synthesis of high-aspect ratio alloy semiconductor nanowires: Cd1-xZnxS, a case study, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2009, 113(9), 3617-3624.
- Tallury P, Kar S, Bamrungsap S, Huang YF, Tan WH, Santra S*, "Ultra-small water-dispersible fluorescent chitosan nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization and specific targeting", Chemical Communications, 2009, (17), 2347-2349.
- Banerjee S, Das J, Santra S*, "Native silica nanoparticle catalyzed anti-Markovnikov addition of thiols to inactivated alkenes and alkynes: a new route to linear and vinyl thioethers", Tetrahedron Letters, 50(1), 124-127, 2009.
- Banerjee S, Kar S, Santra S*, "A simple strategy for quantum dot assisted selective detection of cadmium ions" Chemical Communications, (26), 3037-3039, 2008.
- Sharma P, Brown SC, Bengtsson N, Zhang QZ, Walter GA, Grobmyer SR, Santra S, Jiang HB, Scott EW, Moudgil BM, "Gold-Speckled Multimodal Nanoparticles for Noninvasive Bioimaging", Chemistry of Materials, 20(19), 6087-6094, 2008.
- Tallury P, Payton K and Santra S*, "Silica-based multimodal/multifunctional nanoparticles for bioimaging and biosensing applications" Nanomedicine, 3(4), 579-592, 2008.
- Kar S, Santra S*, Chaudhuri S, "Direct Synthesis of Indium Nanotubes from Indium Metal Source" Crystal Growth and Design, 8(1), 344-346, 2008.
- Kar S, Santra S*, Chaudhuri S, "ZnO nanotube arrays and nanotube-based paint-brush structures: A simple methodology of fabricating hierarchical nanostructures with self-assembled junctions and branches" Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 112(22), 8144-8146, 2008.
- Kar, S., S. Santra*, and H. Heinrich, "Fabrication of high aspect ratio core-shell CdS-Mn/ZnS nanowires by a two step solvothermal process", Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 112(11), 4036-4041, 2008.
- Kar S, Santra S*, Chaudhuri S, "Direct Synthesis of ZnS Nanoribbons, Micro-sheets and Tetrapods", Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 8(6), 3222-3227, 2008.
- Bera D, Qian L, Sabui S, Santra S, Holloway P. H., "Photoluminescence of ZnO quantum dots produced by a sol-gel process", Optical Materials, 30(8), 1233-1239, 2008.
- Yang H, Santra S*, Walter G. A. and Holloway P. H., "GdIII-functionalized fluorescent quantum dots for multimodal imaging probes", Advanced Materials, 18, 2890-2894, 2006.
- Mericle RA, Richter EO, Eskioglu E, Watkins C, Prokai L, Batich CD and Santra S, "Preoperative endovascular brain mapping for intraoperative volumetric image guidance: preliminary concept and feasibility in animal models", Journal of Neurosurgery, 104, 566-573, 2006.
- Santra S*, Liesenfeld B, Bertolino C, Dutta, D, Cao Z, Tan W, Moudgil BM and Mericle RA: Fluorescence lifetime measurements to determine the core-shell nanostructure of FITC doped silica nanoparticles: An optical approach to evaluate nanoparticle photostability, Journal of Luminescence, 117 (1): 75-82, 2006.
- Santra S*, Bagwe RP, Dutta D, Stanley JT, Walter GA, Tan W, Moudgil BM and Mericle RA: Synthesis and characterization of fluorescent, radio-opaque and paramagnetic silica nanoparticles for multimodal bioimaging applications. Advanced Materials, 17(18), 2165-2169, 2005.
- Santra S*, Dutta D, Walter GA, Moudgil BM. Fluorescent Nanoparticle Probes for Cancer Imaging. Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment, 4(6): 593-602, 2005.
- Santra S*, Yang H, Stanley JT, Holloway PH, Moudgil BM, Walter G and Mericle RA: Rapid and effective labeling of brain tissue using TAT-conjugated CdS:Mn/ZnS quantum dots. Chemical Communications (25): 3144-3146, 2005.
- Santra S*, Liesenfeld B, Dutta D, Batich CD, Tan W, Moudgil BM and Mericle RA. Folate conjugated fluorescent silica nanoparticles for labeling neoplastic cells, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 5(6), 899-904, 2005.
- Santra S*, Yang H, Holloway PH, Stanley JT, Mericle RA: Synthesis of Water-Dispersible, Fluorescent, Radio-opaque and Paramagnetic CdS:Mn/ZnS Quantum Dots: A Multifunctional Probe for Bioimaging. J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 127(6): 1656-1657, 2005.
- Santra S*, Yang H, Dutta D, Stanley JT, Holloway PH, Tan W, Moudgil BM and Mericle RA: TAT conjugated FITC doped silica nanoparticles for bioimaging applications. Chem. Commun., (24) 2810-2811, 2004.
2005 - 2007 (Selected)
- Kenniff K, Payton, K and Santra S*, "Fluorescent quantum dots for biomedical applications", in Materials for Nanomedicine (book title), Biomedical Nanotechnology (series title); editors: Mansoor M. Amiji and Vladimir P. Tochilin; Pan Stanford Publishing, 2008 (in press).
- Santra S*, "Fluorescent silica nanoparticles for cancer imaging", in "Cancer Nanotechnology", Editors: Moudgil BM and Stephen Randolph Grobmyer, Humana Press, 2008 (in press).
- Sharma P, Singh A, Brown SC, Walter GA, Santra S, Grobmyer SR, Scott EW, "The Emergence of "Magnetic and Fluorescence" Multimodal Nanoparticles as Contrast Agents in Bioimaging", Particulate Systems in Nano- and Biotechnologies; Editors: Sigmund W, El-Shall H., Shah, DO, Moudgil, BM; CRC Press, ISBN: 978-0-8493-7436-4 (Print), 2008 (published).
- Santra S* and Dutta D, "Quantum Dots for Cancer Imaging", Nanoparticles in Biomedical Imaging: Emerging Technologies and Applications, Springer serial, Fundamental Biomedical Technologies, 2007 (published); ISBN: 978-0-387-72026-5 (Print) 978-0-387-72027-2 (Online)
- Walter GA, Santra S, Thattaliyath B and Grant SC, "(Super)paramagnetic nanoparticles: Applications in Noninvasive MR Imaging of Stem Cell Transfer", Nanoparticles in Biomedical Imaging: Emerging Technologies and Applications, Springer serial, Fundamental Biomedical Technologies, 2007 (published). ISBN: 978-0-387-72026-5 (Print), 978-0-387-72027-2 (Online)
- Santra S* and Dutta D, "Nanoparticles for optical imaging of cancer", Vol 6 (Nanomaterials for Cancer Diagnosis), Challa Kumar (Editor) of the Wiley-VCH series on Nanotechnologies for life sciences, 2006 (published). ISBN: 978-3-527-31387-7 (Print)
- Santra S, et al., "Devices and methods for disruption and removal of luminal occlusions", US Patent # 7,618,434.
- Tan W, Santra S, Peng Z, Tapec R, Dobson J, "Method for making nanoparticles", US Patent # 7,332,351.
- Tan W, Santra S, Peng Z, Tapec R, Dobson J, "Method for identifying cells", US Patent # 6,924,116.
- Tan W, Santra S, Peng Z, Tapec R, Dobson J, "Coated nanoparticles", US Patent # 6,548,264.
17 utility patents are pending.
Awards, Honors and Societies
- Research Fellowship, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India
- Research Fellowship, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India
Member of the following Societies
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Vacuum Society (AVS)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)