Jayan Thomas, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, NanoScience Technology Center, CREOL and College of Engineering
12424 Research Parkway Suite 480
Orlando, FL 32826-3250
Link: Nano Energy-Photonics Group
- Postdoctoral fellowship: International School of Photonics, India
- Ph. D: Cochin University of Science and Technology, India
- M.S/B.S: Mahatma Gandhi University, India
- Research Scientist, College of Optical Sciences, The University of Arizona 2001-2005.
- Assistant/Associate Research Professor, College of Optical Sciences, The University of Arizona 2005-2011
- College of Engineering
Research in my labs is focused on developing nanoarchitectured energy conversion and storage devices. Recently, we have developed a nanoarchitecturing technique using which polymer nanostructures can be printed efficiently at low cost. This technique is utilized to develop nanostructured polymer solar cells, nanoarchitectured electrodes for Li-ion batteries and supercapacitors, and printed biomolecule based photonic devices. Our nanoimprinting technique offers a simple route to fabricate large area nanostructures in a very short time.
Another line of work is the development of photorefractive polymers with improved sensitivity. Photorefractive composites derived from conducting polymers offer the advantage of dynamically recorded holograms without the need of processing of any kind. Thus, they are the material of choice for many cutting edge applications, such as updatable three-dimensional (3D) displays and 3D telepresence. Further improvements in the polymer composites could bring applications in telemedicine, advertising, updatable 3D maps and entertainment. We are also working on the development of new photorefractive polymers sensitive at IR wavelengths.
We are also studying the optical limiting properties of core-shell plasmonic nanostructures.
Awards, Honors and Societies
- NSF CAREER award (2014)
- Excellence in Research Award, University of Central Florida 2014
- VEECO award for the best nanotechnology innovations 2010
- Member, AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
- Member, SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering
- Member, OSA (Optical Society of America)
- Member, MRS (Material Research Society)
- Z. Yu and J. Thomas, “Coaxial supercapacitor-electrical cables: Integrating energy storage device into electrical cables”, (accepted for publication in Adv. Mater. (2014); DOI: adma.201400440).
- Z. Yu, C. Li, D. Abbitt, J. Thomas, “Flexible, sandwich-like Ag-nanowire/PEDOT:PSSnanopillar / MnO2 high performance supercapacitor”, J. Mater. Chem. A (2014), DOI: 10.1039/C4TA01245C.
- B. Duong, H. Khurshid, P. Gangopadhyay, J. Devkota, K. Stojak, H. Srikanth, L. Tetard, R. A. Norwood, N. Peyghambarian, M-H. Phan, J. Thomas, “Enhanced Magnetism in Highly Ordered Magnetite Nanoparticle-filled Nanohole Arrays“ (accepted for publication in Small (2014); DOI: smll.201303809).
- B. Duong, Z. Yu, P. Gangopadhyay, S. Seraphin, N. Peyghambarian, J. Thomas, “High throughput printing of nanostructured carbon electrodes for supercapacitors”, Adv. Mater. Interfaces (2014); DOI: admi.201300014.
- C. M. Liebig, S. H. Buller, P. P. Banerjee, S. A. Basun, P. -A. Blanche, J. Thomas, C. W. Christenson, N. Peyghambarian, D. R. Evans, “Achieving enhanced gain in photorefractive polymers by eliminating electron contributions using large bias fields”, Opt. Exp. 21, 30392 (2013).
- A. A. Khosroabadi, P. Gangopadhyay, B. Cocilovo, L. Makai, P. Basa, B. Duong, J. Thomas, R. A. Norwood, “Spectroscopic ellipsometry on metal and metal oxide multi-layer hybrid plasmonic nanostructures plasmonic nanostructures”, Opt. Lett. 38, 3969 (2013).
- B. Duong, P. Gangopadhyay, J. Brent, S. Seraphin, R. Loutfy, N. Peyghambarian, J. Thomas, Printed sub-100nm polymer-derived ceramic structures ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 5, 3894 (2013).
- Z. Yu, B. Duong, D. Abbitt and J. Thomas, “Highly Ordered MnO2 Nanopillars for Enhanced Supercapacitor Performance” Adv. Mater. 25, 3302 (2013). (Frontispiece of Issue 24, June 25, 2013).
- A. Amooali, P. Gangopadhyay, B. A-T Duong, J. Thomas, A. K. Sigdel, J. J. Berry, T. Gennet, N. Peyghambarian, R. A. Norwood, “Fabrication, Electrical and Optical Properties of Silver, Indium Tin Oxide (ITO) and Indium Zinc Oxide (IZO) Nanostructure Arrays”, Phys. Status Solidi A (Cover story), 1–8 (2013).
- P. Chantharasupawong, R. Philip, J. Thomas, “Simultaneous optical and photoacoustic measurement of nonlinear absorption”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, 041116 (2013)
- B. Cocilovo, A. Amooali, S. Shahin, S. Islam, B. A. T. Duong, P. Gangopadhyay, J. Thomas, R. Norwood, “The Effect of Modular Diffraction Gratings on Absorption in P3HT:PCBM Layers”, Appl. Opt. 52, 1025 (2013).
- R. Philip, P. Chantharasupawong, H. Qian, R. Jin, J. Thomas, “Evolution of Nonlinear Optical Properties: From Gold Atomic Clusters to Plasmonic Nanocrystals”, Nano Lett., 12, 4661−4667 (2012).
- P. Chantharasupawong, R. Philip, T. N. Narayanan, P. M. Ajayan, and J. Thomas “Optical power limiting in fluorinated graphene oxide: An insight into the nonlinear optical properties”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 116, 25955 (2012).
- B. Duong, P. Gangopadhyay, S. Seraphin, J. Thomas “Multiwall carbon nanotubes grown by thermocatalytic carbonization of polyacrylonitrile”, Carbon 50, 4750 (2012).
- P. Chantharasupawong, R. Philip, T. Endo and J. Thomas, “Enhanced optical limiting in nanosized mixed zinc ferrites”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 221108 (2012).
- J. Thomas, P. Gangopadhyay, E. Araci, R. A. Norwood., N. Peyghambarian, “Nanoimprint by Melt Processing: An Easy Technique to print versatile nanostructures”, Adv. Mater. 23, 4782 (2011), Highlighted on MaterialsViews.com.
- P.-A. Blanche, A. Bablumian, R. Voorakaranam, A. Ordyan, C. Christenson, D. Lemieux, W. Lin, S. Rokutanda, T. Gu, D. Flores, P. Wang, J. Thomas, R. A. Norwood, M. Yamamoto and N. Peyghambarian, " Holographic 3D Telepresence Using Large Area Photorefractive Polymer " (Cover story), Nature 468, 80 (2010).
- S. Tay, P-A Blanche, R. Voorakaranam, W. Lin, S. Rokutanda, T. Gu, D. Flores, P. Wang, G. Li, P. St. Hilaire, J. Thomas, R. A. Norwood, M. Yamamoto and N. Peyghambarian, “An updatable holographic three-dimensional display”, Nature 451, 694 (2008).